The Visual Arts Program at Rockford Lutheran School enriches the educational experience and cultivates self-expression through art production, art appreciation, and cultural awareness. Art course offerings aim to engage students in the creation and appreciation of the visual arts while fostering creative confidence, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
Visual Arts Offerings
Art I – Introduction to Visual Art – In this course students will have experiences in producing two-dimensional and three-dimensional works of art. Emphasis will be on the study of the elements of art, principles of design, composition, color theory, vocabulary, art criticism, and art history. Students will work in a variety of materials and techniques. Projects include drawing, painting, collage, sculpture, and mixed media. Students will have sketchbook assignments.
Art II – 2-Dimensional Art and Design – This course builds on skills and knowledge from Art I. Students will continue to study the elements & principles, color theory, vocabulary, and art history while further developing their artistic skills. Art production emphasis will be on high quality craftsmanship, originality, and personal expression. Students will have a weekly sketchbook assignment.
Art III – 3-Dimensional Art and Design
Art IV – Advanced – Art Portfolio
Art Explorations –
Visual Arts Awards
Rockford Art Museum Young Artist Show
- Stephanie Sincox- Best in show 3D (2015)
- Kaitlyn Erboe – Best 7th grade piece (2014)
Rock Valley Art Show
- Andrea Shumann – Juror’s Mention (2015)
- Korissa Ostic – Juror’s Mention (2014)
Big Northern Conferences Art Show
- Many students have places in multiple medium 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
- The Art Department participates in the yearly Snow Sculpting Competition at Sinnissippi Park
- The Kiwanis Art Auction
- Senior Show- The seniors get to display a collection of their best work. The show happens the same night at the Spring Concert.
Meets twice a month; participates in activities such as:
- Window painting of local businesses (Generations Credit Union, Edgebrook Center)
- Set up and decorate for the Mandrigals dinner
- Paint backdrops for plays
- Paint murals
- Design Art Club shirts every year
- Participate in local competitions (Scarecrow building competition with PA Peterson)