The Visual Arts Program at Rockford Lutheran School enriches the educational experience and cultivates self-expression through art production, art appreciation, and cultural awareness. Art course offerings aim to engage students in the creation and appreciation of the visual arts while fostering creative confidence, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
Visual Arts Offerings
Art I – Introduction to Visual Art – In this course students will have experiences in producing two-dimensional and three-dimensional works of art. Emphasis will be on the study of the elements of art, principles of design, composition, color theory, vocabulary, art criticism, and art history. Students will work in a variety of materials and techniques. Projects include drawing, painting, collage, sculpture, and mixed media. Students will have sketchbook assignments.
Art II – 2-Dimensional Art and Design – This course builds on skills and knowledge from Art I. Students will continue to study the elements & principles, color theory, vocabulary, and art history while further developing their artistic skills. Art production emphasis will be on high quality craftsmanship, originality, and personal expression. Students will have a weekly sketchbook assignment.
Art III – 3-Dimensional Art and Design
Art IV – Advanced – Art Portfolio
Art Explorations – Students who are not involved in the musical arts can enjoy an exploration of a variety of fine art activities. Students will experience different levels of speech/drama and art in addition to instruction in computer keyboarding. The students will encounter a variety of activities, produce a wide range of projects and grow in their understanding of this important aspect of themselves and their world.
Visual Arts Awards
Rockford Art Museum Young Artist Show
This show celebrates the strength and diversity of art programs at public, private and home schools in our area through the annual Young Artist Show student exhibition. The High School Division is a juried competition of pieces by students in grades 9–12, and the Youth Division showcases art by K–8 students.
- Suyeon Ha and Adreanna Richardson’s art works were selected to be a part of this juried exhibition in 2019.
Rock Valley Art Show
This show includes over 300 entries from public and private high schools in the Rockford region.
- Mirim Yeum – 3rd Place (2019)
- RLS students included in the show: Isabella Buelow, Sydney Kampmier, Marla Gravino, Zihan Chai, Savanna Swisher, Xiaotong Bi, Elena Sanchez, Mirim Yeum, Suyen Ha, and Ryoto Oe.
Kiwanis Club Budding Artist Event
Annual gala event celebrating young artists.
- 2019 student artists participating from RLS were Suyen Ha, Mirim Yeum, and Zihan Chai.
- The Art Department participates in the yearly Snow Sculpting Competition at Sinnissippi Park
- The Kiwanis Art Auction
- Senior Show- The seniors get to display a collection of their best work. The show happens the same night at the Spring Concert.
Meets twice a month; participates in activities such as:
- Window painting of local businesses (Generations Credit Union, Edgebrook Center)
- Set up and decorate for the Mandrigals dinner
- Paint backdrops for plays
- Paint murals
- Design Art Club shirts every year
- Participate in local competitions (Scarecrow building competition with PA Peterson)